MECAMail!(c) Marriage Equality California,
a project of Equality California Institute
www.marriageequalityca.org and www.eqca.org
"Marriage, Anything Less Is Less Than Equal"
Dear Marriage Equality Supporter,
WE HAVE TEN DAYS UNTIL THE MARRIAGE EQUALITY BILL HITS THE GOVERNOR'S DESK -- TAKE ACTION NOW! Here are ways you can help.
You may have heard that the marriage equality bill passed by the California legislature last week is dead. Well, it ain't over till it's over, and the Governor hasn't vetoed it yet. We will be delivering the bill to his desk on Friday, September 23rd.
AB849 is EQCA-sponsored legislation authored by Assemblyman Mark Leno.
WE NEED YOUR HELP THROUGHOUT THE NEXT 10 DAYS TO URGE HIM TO CHANGE HIS MIND AND SIGN THIS CRITICAL CIVIL RIGHTS BILL.
There have been editorials in major newspapers all over the country condemning Governor Schwarzenegger for failing to stand behind his earlier statements in support of equal rights for same-sex couples. People throughout this state are angry and ready to take action.
WE NEED TO FOCUS ON REACHING OUT TO THE PUBLIC IN AS MANY WAYS AND IN AS MANY PLACES AS POSSIBLE OVER THE NEXT TEN DAYS TO HELP BUILD THE GRASSROOTS GROUNDSWELL THAT WILL MAKE THE DIFFERENCE.
Here's how you can help:
1. Forward this email to your friends.
2. Call everyone you know and ask them to call the Governor and First Lady at 916-445-2841 or 415-703-2218, send an email to email@example.com, or fill out the electronic comment form at http://www.govmail.ca.gov
(where it asks for a subject, there's a drop-down list where you select "Gender-neutral marriage AB.\00849")
3. Come to our San Francisco office and help us get the word out to the local LGBT community by helping us to maintain a table at the corner of 18th and Castro as frequently as possible over the next 10 days. I can also connect you with chapter leaders in most counties around the state.
4. Circulate flyers and postcards to the Governor. Just send us an e-mail and we'll send them to you. Then you can make copies, go out to an area with a lot of foot traffic (preferably, but not necessarily, an area with a large progressive population), talk to people as they go by, make sure they are supportive, and ask them to call the governor right away on their cell phones. Also ask them to sign our postcards to the Governor. If you need postcards, let me know and I'll send some to you.
5. Come into our office and help us make phone calls to our supporters to urge them to call and write the Governor.
6. Write your idea here. Be creative! One of our members set up her own website at http://www.deararnold.org
7. For more information, visit our chapter website: http://www.eqca.org/site/pp.asp?c=9oINKWMCF&b=865697
Thanks for doing everything you can to gain true marriage equality in California!
California Field Organizer
Equality California (EQCA)
office (415) 581-0005 ext. 6#
cell (415) 377-2804